Simple Guide to CBD Dosage for Dog Owners
CBD is hailed as a miracle worker for solving pet related problems. Offering myriads of health benefits, CBD is rapidly being adopted by veterinary practitioners as a safe alternative therapy for the treatment of pet problems, especially for dogs. If you have been worrying about how much CBD to give to your dog, you have landed at the right page. This article is all about administering CBD in correct dosage to your dogs. Hang in there.
What Is CBD For Dogs?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound derived from the hemp plant. It is the same plant that yields tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a highly psychoactive compound that induces a high state in users. CBD, on the other hand, lacks such psychostimulant properties and exerts its effects by interacting with the endocannabinoid system found in all mammals.
CBD has been found to have numerous health benefits. Its pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory potential is what makes CBD ideal for treating a variety of conditions. For dogs, CBD has been found useful in treating a number of health problems.
Benefits of CBD for Dogs
Like all other mammals, dogs also possess an endocannabinoid system, which helps them benefit from CBD. In dogs, CBD helps to
- Improve appetite
- Relieve pain
- Enhance mobility
- Treat inflammatory conditions
- Relieves anxiety and stress
- Elevate the mood
- Relieve allergy symptoms
- Treat skin problems
How to Use CBD for Dogs?
CBD can safely be used in dogs as a health supplement for improving overall health or for treating specific conditions such as low appetite. There are a number of ways to administer CBD to your dogs, which are listed below.
- CBD oil: CBD oil can easily be added to dog food or water.
- CBD capsules: Can be added to dog food.
- CBD dog treats: These make the administration process all the easier.
- CBD pet spray: Meant for oral administration, especially in large dogs.
- CBD tincture: Usually given orally to dogs.
- CBD ointments: Meant for local application and external usage only.
Correct CBD Dosage for Dogs
Finding the right dose of CBD for your dog can be a tricky business. Dosing is very crucial when giving CBD to your dog. Every CBD product marketed for dogs contains different amount of CBD, which is why it is important that you carefully read the label for the concentration of CBD present in a particular product.
Here are the 2 things you need to know when trying to determine the correct CBD dose for your friend.
- Amount of CBD in mg in the capsules or per ml of the bottle
- Your pet’s weight in pounds
Your pet’s size is what matters the most in finding the correct dose of CBD for your dog. In general, the recommended dose of CBD for dogs is 2-5mg of CBD for every 10 pounds of your dog’s weight. Larger dogs require more amount of CBD.
Keeping the above-mentioned dose in mind, CBD oil can be given as 2-4 drops given 2-4 times on a daily basis. Each CBD capsules contains about 5-20mg of CBD. You can give 1 CBD capsule to your dog approximately 1-2 times per day.
Here are simple formulas to make the entire business easier.
Low dose: for mild symptoms
0.05mg X lb given twice daily
Medium dose: for moderate symptoms
0.125 mg X lb given twice daily
High dose: for severe symptoms
0.25 mg X lb given twice daily
For example: If your puppy has mild symptoms and weighs 40 lbs, you can calculate the amount of CBD to be given as follows.
0.05 mg X 40 = 2 mg (You need to give 2mg of CBD to your dog twice daily)
Even if you are confused while trying to determine the correct dose of CBD for your dog, online CBD dose calculators can help you in such sticky spots. Administering CBD to your pet dog within the recommended range of dose makes CBD administration safe. As a rule of thumb, always start with a low dose when giving CBD to your dog.
Things to Keep In Mind for Giving CBD to Dogs
Here are a few things that you should keep in mind before giving CBD to your dog for the treatment of dog problems.
- Start low key. Always start with a low dose of CBD when giving CBD to your dog for the first time.
- Choose additive and preservative free organic CBD for your dog.
- Wait for a reasonable amount of time after giving CBD to your dog. If you don’t notice any change in symptoms even after a considerable amount of time, only then increase the dose stepwise.
- Be careful not to exceed the recommended maximum dose of CBD when giving it to your pet.
- If your dog’s symptoms fail to improve even after optimal dosage, consult a vet.
Keep your pet close and CBD even closer. CBD relieves a number of dog-related health problems. You can also supplement your dog’s diet with CBD on a daily basis for an overall improvement in health as it helps enhance appetite, relieves anxiety and enhances the general performance of your most loyal friend.