CBD for Pets: 3 Things to Keep in Mind
The main reason why CBD is so effective is that it affects our endocannabinoid system. But did you know that our pets also have this system in their bodies? This is excellent news since it means that our pets can share the same benefits from CBD as we do.
Keep in mind though, that CBD products may not work the same way for animals as they would for us humans. Therefore, there are some things to keep in mind if you’re planning to give CBD to your pets.
Are CBD products safe for pets?
Since dogs, cats, and most pets also have an endocannabinoid system, CBD products may provide them with similar effects. However, there’s one important caution to keep in mind, especially when it comes to dogs.
Among all types of animals, even humans, dogs have a higher concentration of cannabinoid receptors in their brains. This means that they may have adverse reactions to THC. Therefore, if you plan to give CBD products to your dog, make sure that it doesn’t have any THC content. When it comes to CBD for pets, here are some important factors to consider:
1. How to choose the best CBD products for pets
When it comes to CBD products for pets, there’s a lot to choose from. Unfortunately, not all of these products are the same. That’s why you need to know how to make the right choice for your four-legged friend. Here are some tips to guide you:
- It should have undergone testing by a third party. Even if a product claims this on the label, you can check by calling up the company and asking for the results of the test.
- Also, you can check if the testing done on the CBD product was from an accredited or reputable institution. Such institutions would invest in clinical trials and research to prove the safety and the benefits of the products they’re testing.
- Were there any safety studies performed on the product? This is one of the more important things to check before purchasing a CBD product for your pet. Safety is key if you’re trying to supplement the health of your furry friend. In terms of safety, remember that some products which you can safely give to dogs may not prove safe to cats. Therefore, you should make sure that the product you choose is specifically meant for the type of pet you have.
- The best CBD products for pets should have dosage instructions written on the label. That way, you know exactly how much to give to your pet. Therefore, you can safely administer the proper dosage. If the product you purchase doesn’t contain this information, either call the company or ask your vet about the proper dosage.
- When you call the company that manufactured the product, try to determine whether their people have a good knowledge of their products. If so, that probably means that everyone in their company is well-invested in the quality of the products they manufacture.
- Finally, check if any veterinarians recommend the product you’re planning to give to your pet. Why not ask your vet directly? Your pet’s doctor may have his/her recommendation for which CBD products to use for pets.
2. Introducing CBD to pets
Not all veterinarians have open minds when it comes to CBD products for pets. But as long as you give the proper dosage of these products to your pet, they can provide some excellent health benefits. But what if your vet doesn’t recommend giving a CBD product to your pet, and you still want to give it anyway? How do you introduce the product safely?
Unfortunately, there aren’t any standard medical guidelines for giving CBD to pets. Therefore, the best thing to do when introducing such a product such as CBD oil to a dog is by giving the lowest possible amount which is around 1 ml/mg each day.
After giving the first dose, observe your pet to see how he reacts to the CBD oil. If your dog experiences any adverse reactions, stop giving the CBD oil.
But if your dog doesn’t manifest any negative effects, you may continue giving the same amount to your pet for about two more weeks. Then as time goes by, gradually increase the dosage in small increments.
Keep on observing your dog for any negative effects, especially after each time you’ve increased the dosage. As soon as you notice the effects or benefits you desire, you can stop increasing the dosage and the frequency of your administration.
3. Delivery and dosage of CBD for pets
Most pet owners who use CBD products on their pets that the best type of product to give them is CBD tinctures. This is because it’s easier to dose and administer tinctures. To do this, drop the tincture directly into the mouth of your pets. Also, the great thing about tinctures for pets is that they come in a wide range of flavors which pets will love.
When it comes to dosage, less is always more. The best way to administer CBD for pets is to start low and go slow. If you have more than one pet in your home, you may have to give them different doses. Therefore, it’s important to keep track of all the doses you’re administering to your pets individually.
Although all the anecdotal evidence and reports are highly promising, it’s still important to tread carefully around CBD products when giving them to your pets. Choose the product wisely and do a lot of research before you make a purchase.
Also, if your vet recommends CBD products, discuss giving them to your pet first. This will give you a good idea of how much to give, how often, and the best types of products to give your pets. However, if your vet doesn’t recommend such products, you can either find one who does or talk to other pet owners who already administer CBD products to their pets. When it comes to pets and CBD, knowledge is key. Learn all you can to keep your pets healthy, happy, and safe.